We all want to do lots of things, much more than we actually have time for. This is true in our personal lives and our work. I’m always fascinated when I talk to companies who have historically struggled with their data who tell me “this time it will be different”. They will now get all their data in order, everyone will use it and everything will change.
In reality, it is hard to make significant changes to yourself, let alone other people (e.g. your team). If you have ever tried to lose weight, you are familiar with the resistance that you will experience within the first few days of any diet. Imagine trying to get 10 people to lose weight and dealing with all of their resistance.
Instead of trying to change everything overnight, we can focus on small wins. Get some small victories which you can snowball into larger victories. Small wins in analytics include:
- Improving the data accuracy of your existing tools
- Creating 1-2 dashboards with some (not all) of your KPIs
- Getting 1 person within your team to look at the data on a regular basis
These wins might be far off from your ideal world but they can give you the momentum needed to sustain you in the long process that you will have to go through to get there.
Actions for This Week:
What are 2-3 small wins that your team could achieve in the next 30 days? Be conservative in what you think is possible.
Interesting Reads and Resources
- We recently published 4 blog posts on what kind of data common products should be tracking. Find the one most suited for your company: SaaS, eCommerce, Marketplaces and Mobile Games.
- If you want to see a debate where people struggle to understand the underlying data, look at any Rent vs Buy discussion around homeownership. Depending on your city, both options might be financially equal and yet, most people act like they aren’t. Here is a comparison for my city, Vancouver, Canada.
P.S. If you’re interesting in seeing how we can help turn your small wins into long term big wins, then check out case studies from previous engagements or get in touch for a consultation.
One more thing before you go! Are you getting the data you need to grow your company?
I find most companies are stuck with high-level metrics and they aren't able to properly understand what actually drives user growth for their web and mobile products. To do that, you need the right data and the right tools.
If this sounds like your situation, then you should download our free tracking plan (and tutorial video). This is the document that you should create
before you ever implement tools like Mixpanel, Amplitude, Segment, and Intercom. Click the image below to download your own free tracking plan (and tutorial video).